Friday, March 11, 2005

Life in USA

"I was the only one talking, and all the suppressed misery of living in America surged from me. Oh, how many times I had wished death to entire college football teams. It was impossible to meet a friend without making a fucking appointment weeks in advance, and there were no coffee gardens where you could sit and watch people walk by. I was sick of being asked where I was from and I hated Bush and his Jesus freaks. With every particle of my being I detested the word "carbs" and the systematic extermination of joy from American life, etc. "
from
THE CONDUCTOR by ALEKSANDAR HEMON
New Yorker
Issue of 2005-02-28
Posted 2005-02-21

This passage in the story somehow struck me, Another reason could be
another event around the same time, the interview of Aishwarya in the Late Show

Aishwarya was asked "Is it common in India to live with their parents?"
and her answer - "we don't have to take appointments to have dinner with our parents"

Was insightful.

There are a few questions for which I never was able to find the right answer. They say the best way to answer a unnecessary question is to ask back a question, Ash did a good job at that.

I usually get very defensive to such questions... Lesson learnt - be offensive, ask back a valid question.

Now I know how to reply

PS: Rest of the interview was not so great, it was very artificial and she was giggling and smiling a lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home